American University International Student Profile
This is part of our series profiling different undergraduate and graduate degree programs and schools at U.S. universities for international students on an F1 Visa or J1 Visa. This week we profile American University. If you are in need of admissions help, please email us at email@example.com or visit us at our website.
Located in Washington, D.C., American University is an excellent option for international students who wish to study abroad in the United States. American University is a private university located in the bustling capital of the United States. American University is an excellent option for international students looking to study abroad in the United States. American hosts a significant number of international students, who collectively make up 7.9% of the student body.
Like most United States schools, the tuition at American University can be expensive for international students. However, that should not deter you from applying if you want to attend American. If you need help funding your education, you should consider applying for international student loans to help fund your education abroad in the United States. The average tuition for undergraduate students is $48,459 and the cost for international graduate students is approximately $33,306 but ultimately depends on the program.
Demographics and Location
Washington, D.C. has an estimated population 713,000 people, making the nation’s capital one of the largest in the United States. Out of D.C.’s population, about 3.8% of the residents are Asian. There are many job opportunities in D.C., and about 32.7% of the D.C. population holds a graduate degree. Employers tend to hire locally, so this is a great thing for students who wish to stay in the Washington, D.C. area post-graduation. Asian students make up about 7% of the population at American University.
General Profile of Local Economy
Washington, D.C. has surprisingly diverse job economy. D.C. boasts a 33% rate of future job growth, which is right in line with the national average. About 18.5% of the job economy works in the scientific, technical services, and professional job sector which is well above the national average. Some fast-growing and large companies in the D.C. area include Lockheed Martin, General Dynamics, and Northrop Grumman. Last year, D.C. sponsored over 4,000 work visas.
Facts and Rankings
American University is a unique place to learn and grow for international students. American holds many rankings and unique facts which should appeal to international students. These include:
- American University was a response to founding father George Washington’s call to create a national university located in the nation’s capital;
- The university was founded in 1893, making it an older university;
- American University is a smaller school, with an enrollment of about 12,000;
- 92% of graduates with a master’s degree from American reported a positive outcome related to employment or further education.
American has many unique facts and aspects to it. As you can see, American has a solid reputation in the United States, which should only add to its appeal to potential international students.
American University offers a wide variety of undergraduate and graduate programs to international students. There are many programs to choose from to receive a degree. Some of the program rankings include:
- National University #78;
- International Business #17;
- Biological Sciences #218;
- Political Science #56.
As you can see, American University offers a wide variety of programs in many different fields that would appeal to international students. The above listed rankings are only a sample of what American has to offer. Check out the link provided above for a full list of academic programs offered at American University.
Like all United States colleges and higher education programs, American University has an application(s) that international students need to complete in order to be considered for acceptance. There are a number of different requirements that need to be fulfilled. These include:
- Official transcripts reflecting graduation from a high school/secondary school/undergraduate program. They should be stamped and sealed, and if they are not in English, a certified literal English translation is required. The average GPA at American University is 3.66.
- Some of the different programs and/or majors, especially the graduate programs, may require letters of recommendation. Please check with the specific program you wish to apply to in order to see how many are required of you.
- Some of the programs may also require a personal statement and resume.
- A minimum TOEFL (iBT) score of 80 with an IELTS of 6.5.
- The average ACT for entrants into American University is between a 26-31.
- The minimum GRE varies by program, so please check with your desired program for more information.
Please remember that these are general application requirements. The actual requirements for each program differs. Please check the requirements for each program by following the link provided above.
If you’d like help with the admissions process, please email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications to United States universities can be extremely stressful and difficult. Nomad Credit can help you determine a potential fit for you based on your profile. Paid services that we provide include profile evaluation, statement of purpose essay editing and revision, and visa training. Please don’t hesitate to email us at email@example.com if you have any questions.
Do you need help evaluating your profile? Fill out this form for help from Nomad Credit!