This is part of our series profiling different graduate degree programs and graduate schools at U.S. universities for international students on an F1 Visa or J1 Visa. This week we profile the College of Engineering at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champagne.
Resting in the twin cities of Urbana and Champagne, Illinois is the flagship campus of the University of Illinois system.
- The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champagne is a Big 10 Conference founding member and an Association of American Universities member, with a classification as an R1 Doctoral University under the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education.
- The university is made up of 17 colleges featuring over 150 departments of study.
For international students interested in studying engineering, the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champagne’s College of Engineering is a consistently top ranked school. The College of Engineering is located on the north end of campus which encompasses the Grainger Engineering Library, the largest engineering library in the world, and Engineering Hall, the focal point and the oldest surviving building in the engineering section of campus.
Degrees and Programs
The College of Engineering at the University of Illinois at Urbana Champagne offers traditional Master’s and Ph.D. programs in the following departments:
The college also offer professional Master’s programs in the following areas:
Online professional Master’s programs, joint degree programs, and combined Bachelor’s/Master’s programs are also offered in the College of Engineering and more information on those programs can be found here.
The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champagne College of Engineering boasts a plethora of ranks and accolades. In addition to be ranked 6th in undergraduate engineering programs overall and 9th in graduate engineering programs overall, the college holds many department ranks:
- Aerospace Engineering-6th
Students pursuing F1 visas and J1 visas should take note of TOEFL and IELTS requirements. There minimum scores for each test if one wishes to be a full-time student. For the TOEFL, internet-based scores must be higher than 102, computer-based scores higher than 253, and paper-based scores higher than 610. IELTS score must be greater than 6.5. Requirements may differ by program and you should reach out to someone in your desired department for complete information. A minimum GPA of 3.0/4.0 is required for admission.
Average GRE scores vary by program. To get an idea of what scores students who have been admitted have had in the past, here are the average GRE scores for the Civil and Environmental Engineering program: Verbal-154, Quantitative-164, Analytical Writing-4.0.
The tuition rate for the school is $31,626 per year for international students.
- UIUC does offer different options for financial aid, however.
- Different assistantships can be offered to students depending on the department of study as well as fellowships and scholarships.
- Nomad Credit can help you find international student loan options.
- An engineering degree from the College of Engineering can very lucrative after graduation.
- A $902,000 20-year return on investment is reported for the university.
As always, we encourage you to reach out to a school directly to get the most up-to-date and accurate information. Speaking to someone from the school can help you make a better decision and they can also put you in touch with alumni who can speak to their experiences of attending that school.
For those international students on an F1 Visa or J1 Visa needing an education loan or study loan to help fund their studies at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champagne or another university, please visit us at nomadcredit.com. We also can help you find student medical insurance options. We are more than happy to help and if you have any questions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.