Florida International University International Student Profile
This is part of our series profiling different undergraduate and graduate degree programs and schools at U.S. universities for international students on an F1 Visa or J1 Visa. This week we profile Florida International University. If you are in need of admissions help, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit us at our website.
Located in Miami, Florida, Florida International University is an excellent option for international students who wish to study abroad in the United States. Florida International University is an excellent university for research and innovation. Florida International University is an excellent option for international students looking to study abroad in the United States. FIU hosts a significant number of international students, who collectively make up 6.3% of the student body.
Like most United States schools, the tuition at Florida International University can be expensive for international students. However, that should not deter you from applying if you want to attend FIU. If you need help funding your education, you should consider applying for international student loans to help fund your education abroad in the United States. The average tuition for undergraduate students is $18,956 and the cost for international graduate students is approximately $23,578, but ultimately depends on the program.
Demographics and Location
Miami, Florida has an estimated population 440,000 people, making it one of the 50 largest cities in the county. Out of Miami’s population, about 1% of the residents are Asian. There are many job opportunities in Miami, and about 10% of the population holds a graduate degree. Employers tend to hire locally, so this is a great thing for students who wish to stay in the Miami/Florida area post-graduation. Asian students make up about 2% of the population at FIU.
General Profile of Local Economy
Miami, Florida has surprisingly diverse job economy. Miami boasts a 42.7% rate of future job growth, which is well above the national average. About 7.2% of the job economy works in the scientific, technical services, and professional job sector which is above the national average. Some fast-growing and large companies in Miami include American Airlines, Cisco Systems, and APL. Last year, Florida sponsored over 21,000 work visas.
Facts and Rankings
Florida International University is a unique place to learn and grow for international students. FIU holds many rankings and unique facts which should appeal to international students. These include:
- FIU is a large school, with an enrollment of about 55,000;
- #2 Model United Nations team in the United States;
- The fourth largest public university in the United States;
- Operates the world’s only underwater ocean laboratory.
FIU has many unique facts and aspects to it. As you can see, FIU has a solid reputation in the United States, which should only add to its appeal to potential international students.
- International Business #12;
- Best Engineering #141;
- Biomedical Engineering #80;
- Materials Engineering #99;
- Computer Science #133;
- Health Care Management #51.
As you can see, Florida International University offers a wide variety of programs in many different fields that would appeal to international students. The above listed programs are only a sample of what FIU has to offer. Check out the link provided above for a full list of academic programs offered at Florida International University.
Like all United States colleges and higher education programs, Florida International University has an application(s) that international students need to complete in order to be considered for acceptance. There are a number of different requirements that need to be fulfilled. These include:
- Official transcripts reflecting graduation from a high school/secondary school/undergraduate program. They should be stamped and sealed, and if they are not in English, a certified literal English translation is required. The average GPA at Florida International University is 3.8.
- Some of the different programs and/or majors, especially the graduate programs, may require letters of recommendation. Please check with the specific program you wish to apply to in order to see how many are required of you.
- Some of the programs may also require a personal statement and resume.
- A minimum TOEFL (iBT) score of 80 with an IELTS of 6.5.
- The average ACT for entrants into Florida International University is between a 23-27 .
- The minimum GRE varies by program, so please check with your desired program for more information.
Please remember that these are general application requirements. The actual requirements for each program differs. Please check the requirements for each program by following the link provided above.
If you’d like help with the admissions process, please email us at: email@example.com
Applications to United States universities can be extremely stressful and difficult. Nomad Credit can help you determine a potential fit for you based on your profile. Paid services that we provide include profile evaluation, statement of purpose essay editing and revision, and visa training. Please don’t hesitate to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Do you need help evaluating your profile? Fill out this form for help from Nomad Credit!