This is part of our series profiling different graduate degree programs and graduate schools at U.S. universities for international students on an F1 Visa or J1 Visa. This week we profile the College Engineering at the University of Michigan.
Located in Ann Arbor, Michigan
- the College of Engineering at the University of Michigan offers an excellent option for international students looking to study engineering in the United States.
- The University of Michigan is known across the United States as not only an academic powerhouse, but also for its athletics (and cold weather).
As of spring of this year (2017), Michigan currently is ranked as the number 5 best engineering school for graduates. In regards to individual departments, eleven of them are ranked in the top ten in the country, including their Nuclear Engineering and Radiological Sciences department, which is ranked number one.
Approximately 32% of the students enrolled in the graduate degree programs at the College of Engineering are international students. That is a relatively high percentage, considering that the School of Engineering has an admissions rate of 21%. There are currently 1,968 students enrolled in masters programs.
Departments and Programs
The College of Engineering offers a wide variety of departments for international students to choose to study from. They include:
- Aerospace Engineering,
- Biomedical Engineering,
- Chemical Engineering,
- Civil & Environmental Engineering,
- Climate & Space Sciences & Engineering,
- Electrical Engineering & Computer Science,
- Industrial & Operations Engineering,
- Integrative Systems and Design,
- Materials Science & Engineering,
- Mechanical Engineering,
- Naval Architecture & Marine Engineering,
- Nuclear Engineering & Radiological Sciences.
As you can see, that is a wide variety of departments and engineering disciplines to choose from. Also, as stated above, most of these departments are ranked as the top in the country.
Like all schools, the University of Michigan has its own set of application requirements for international students. While each department/program may have their own unique requirement, these are the general ones. These include: