This is part of our series profiling different undergraduate and graduate degree programs and schools at U.S. universities for international students on an F1 Visa or J1 Visa. This week we profile Washington State University.
Located in Pullman, Washington, Washington State University is an excellent option for international student looking to study abroad in the United States. Washington State has been around since 1890 and has an established history throughout the United States. It is one of the top research universities in the United States, and with access to some top-of-the-line facilities, Washington State is an appealing option for international students.
Facts and Rankings
Washington State University is an excellent place for international students to learn and grow while they receive their degrees. There are many unique facts and rankings about Washington State University that should only add to its appeal for international students. These include:
- WSU offers small classes for more hands on learning; 80% of undergraduate class have fewer than 50 students.
- 7% of the student population is international;
- $380 million dollars given in financial aid and scholarships in 2016;
- Ranked #140 best college in the United States.
As you can see, Washington State is a university that has ample resources and strives to offer the best learning experience possible for its students. These facts and rankings should only add to Washington State’s’s appeal to international students.
- Data Analytics,
- International Business,
- Management Information Systems,
- Chemical Engineering,
- Computer Science
- Computer Engineering,
- Electrical Engineering,
- Software Engineering.
These are only a handful of the many programs that Washington State University has to offer. They offer many programs in the STEM and business fields so that all of its students can receive a well-rounded education to help them succeed in their desired field after graduation. Check out the link provided above for a full list of all the programs that Washington State University has to offer.
Like all United States colleges and higher education programs, Washington State University has an application(s) that international students need to complete in order to be considered for acceptance. There are a number of different requirements that need to be fulfilled. These include:
- Official, certified transcripts from all secondary school and all official results from any leaving certificates or university entrance exams you have taken. If the materials are not in English, you will need to provide a certified, English translation of them. The average undergraduate GPA is 3.4.
- English proficiency scores. For the TOEFL, you must meet the following minimums: 213 CBT, 79 iBT, 550 PBT. The minimum IELTS score is 6.5.
- The average ACT was between 20-26. The average SAT ranges are as follows: 470-590 for math, 460-580 for critical reading, 440-550 for writing.
- The average GRE is 153 verbal and 150 quantitative.
Washington State University does not say whether they require letters of recommendation, a personal statement, or essays. That likely depends on the school or program that you are applying to. Please double check with that school or program to see if it is required of you, and to see if any other information is needed.
Like most United States Schools, the tuition at Washington State University can be expensive for international students. However, that should not deter you from applying if you want to attend Washington State. If you need help funding your education, you should consider applying for international student loans to help fund your education abroad in the United States. The total cost and tuition will vary by situation and program, but the average tuition or out-of-state freshman is approximately $40,362.00 per year.
Are you currently applying to schools? Do you need admissions help or have questions regarding your qualifications? In conjunction with our partners, Nomad Credit can help you determine a good fit for you and potentially expedite the admissions process so that you can get a speedy decision – all at no additional cost to you. Visit us at the links above, or at www.nomadcredit.com for more information.