International Student Blog
What is a Professional Masters vs Academic Masters?

What is a Professional Masters vs Academic Masters?

Nate from Nomad Credit explains the difference between a professional masters program and an academic (or research) masters program to international students planning to study in the U.S. on an F1 visa or J1 visa.

  • A professional masters program prepares international students with the skills they need to join the workforce immediately after graduating.
  • This would provide the skills needed to go out into the field of that certain discipline.
  • An academic masters is usually a step towards pursuing a career in academia, exploring the philosophy behind the field and doing research to expand on the field’s knowledge.
  • Often, an academic masters degree is a precursor to attaining a PhD degree in a certain field.
  • International students seeking a career in academia will often become researchers or professions and be employed by universities

As always, please visit Nomad Credit for all of your financial needs, if you need to find options for international student loans or student medical insurance, please visit us!

For those international students needing an education loan or study loan to help fund their studies in the U.S. please visit us at We also can help you find student medical insurance options. We are more than happy to help and if you have any questions, please email us at


Nathan Treadwell

Add comment



Follow Me