Louisiana State University International Student Profile
This is part of our series profiling different undergraduate and graduate degree programs and schools at U.S. universities for international students on an F1 Visa or J1 Visa. This week we profile Louisiana State University. If you are in need of admissions help, please email us at email@example.com or visit us at our website.
Located in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Louisiana State University is an excellent option for international students who wish to study abroad in the United States. Louisiana State University is one of the most famous universities and college towns in the United States. Louisiana State University is an excellent option for international students looking to study abroad in the United States. LSU hosts a significant number of international students, who collectively make up over 2% of the student body.
Like most United States schools, the tuition at Louisiana State University can be expensive for international students. However, that should not deter you from applying if you want to attend LSU. If you need help funding your education, you should consider applying for international student loans to help fund your education abroad in the United States. The average tuition for undergraduate students is $28,627 and the cost for international graduate students is approximately $15,171, but ultimately depends on the program.
Demographics and Location
Baton Rouge is the second largest city in Louisiana, with an estimated population of 230,000. Out of Baton Rouge’s population, about 3.5%of the residents are Asian. There are many job opportunities in Baton Rouge, and about 13% of the population holds a graduate degree. Employers tend to hire locally, so this is a great thing for students who wish to stay in the Louisiana/South area post-graduation. Asian students make up about 4% of the population at LSU.
General Profile of Local Economy
Baton Rouge has surprisingly diverse job economy. It boasts a 25% rate of future job growth, which is right in line with the national average. A large percentage of the job economy works in the scientific, technical services, and professional job sector. Some fast-growing and large companies in Louisiana include Ochsner Health System, Amedisys, and Turner Industries. Last year, Louisiana sponsored almost 2,000 work visas.
Facts and Rankings
Louisiana State University is a unique place to learn and grow for international students. LSU holds many rankings and unique facts which should appeal to international students. These include:
- LSU has two of the most respected athletic programs (basketball and football) in the country;
- Louisiana State University is a historic university, as it was founded in 1860;
- Louisiana State University offers over 350 different student organizations;
- LSU’s students represent over 100 different countries.
LSU has many unique facts and aspects to it. As you can see, LSU has a solid reputation in the United States, which should only add to its appeal to potential international students.
- National University #140;
- Best Business Schools #69;
- Biological Engineering #20;
- Civil Engineering #53;
- Computer Science #102;
- Mathematics #66.
As you can see, Louisiana State University offers a wide variety of programs in many different fields that would appeal to international students. The above listed programs are only a sample of what LSU has to offer. Check out the link provided above for a full list of academic programs offered at Louisiana State University.
Like all United States colleges and higher education programs, Louisiana State University has an application(s) that international students need to complete in order to be considered for acceptance. There are a number of different requirements that need to be fulfilled. These include:
- Official transcripts reflecting graduation from a high school/secondary school/undergraduate program. They should be stamped and sealed, and if they are not in English, a certified literal English translation is required. The average GPA at Louisiana State University is 3.0.
- Some of the different programs and/or majors, especially the graduate programs, may require letters of recommendation. Please check with the specific program you wish to apply to in order to see how many are required of you.
- Some of the programs may also require a personal statement and resume.
- A minimum TOEFL (iBT) score of 79 with an IELTS of 6.5.
- The average ACT for entrants into Louisiana State University is between a 23-28.
- The minimum GRE varies by program, so please check with your desired program for more information.
Please remember that these are general application requirements. The actual requirements for each program differs. Please check the requirements for each program by following the link provided above.
If you’d like help with the admissions process, please email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications to United States universities can be extremely stressful and difficult. Nomad Credit can help you determine a potential fit for you based on your profile. Paid services that we provide include profile evaluation, statement of purpose essay editing and revision, and visa training. Please don’t hesitate to email us at email@example.com if you have any questions.
Do you need help evaluating your profile? Fill out this form for help from Nomad Credit!