Many international students come to the United States to study and receive a degree in engineering and eventually get hired by a software engineering company. However, software engineering is an extremely broad field of study and encompasses many different areas. Previously, we have detailed job options and companies that hire international students in aerospace engineering, computer scientists, and mechanical engineers. We have also discussed the top engineering degrees for international students, and the top United States engineering companies that hire international students. Today, we will discuss what a possible future career in software engineering looks like.
What is a Software Engineer?
- Software engineers can also be referred to as software developers.
- They are essentially the creative minds that create and develop computer programs, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
- Some develop the applications that people use in order to do specific tasks on a computer or other device.
- Others may develop the actual systems that run the device or the entire network itself.
- Most software engineers/developers work for companies that deal with computer systems design and/or manufacturing, or in software publishing companies.
With Hard Work You Can Beat the Competition
- That means that the programs to receive the degrees are usually competitive and the work difficult, but the payoff has the potential to be great.
- In the job market, international students face a high level of competition landing software engineering jobs in the United States.
- However, that does not mean that an international student cannot get a software engineering job, even with the additional hurdle of finding a company to sponsor an H1B visa.
- With patience, hard work, and outstanding grades, an international student can make himself or herself stick out from the crowd and make a company see their value.
Top Ten U.S. Firms Sponsoring Software Engineer H1B Visas
Listed below are the top ten companies from 2017 classified in the Software Publishers industry with the most visa sponsors, including H1B.
This would be a great place to start your search for software engineering companies that hire international students in the United States.